Friday, November 8, 2019, 9:00 a.m.
The Northwestern University Law Review held its 2019 symposium, “Rethinking Solitary Confinement” on Friday, November 8, 2019 at Northwestern Pritzker School of Law (375 E. Chicago Avenue, Chicago) in Thorne Auditorium.
Please click here to access CLE materials.
Morning Program, beginning at 9 AM
Kimberly A. Yuracko, Dean and Judd and Mary Morris Leighton Professor of Law at Northwestern Pritzker School of Law
Senator Dick Durbin, U.S. Senator for the State of Illinois
KEYNOTE PANEL: PERSPECTIVES ON SOLITARY CONFINEMENT, 9:50 – 11:30 AM
- Albert Woodfox, Solitary Survivor and Author of “Solitary”
- Craig Haney, Professor of Psychology at UC-Santa Cruz
- Leann Bertsch, Director of the North Dakota Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
- Jules Lobel, Bessie McKee Walthour Endowed Chair at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- Moderator: Meredith Martin Rountree, Senior Lecturer at Nortwestern Pritzker School of Law
SOLITARY CONFINEMENT’S (L)AW-FUL(L)-NESS: CONFUSING TYPICALITY WITH CONSTITUTIONALITY, 11:30 – 12 PM
- Judith Resnik, Arthur Liman Professor of Law at Yale Law School*
Afternoon Program, beginning at 1:30 PM
FIGHTING SOLITARY CONFINEMENT IN ILLINOIS, 1:30 – 2:30 PM
- Alan Mills, Executive Director of Uptown People’s Law Center
- Brian Nelson, Solitary Survivor and Prisoners’ Rights Coordinator/Investigator at Uptown People’s Law Center
- Moderator: Vanessa Del Valle, Clinical Assistant Professor of Law at MacArthur Justice Center
CRUELTY, HARM, AND THE EIGHTH AMENDMENT, 2:30 – 3:30 PM
- John Stinneford, Professor of Law at The University of Florida Levin College of Law
- Brie Williams, Professor of Medicine at UC-San Francisco College of Medicine
- Sharon Dolovich, Professor of Law at UCLA School of Law and Director of the UCLA Prison Law & Policy Program
- Moderator: Shari Seidman Diamond, Howard J. Trienens Professor of Law and Professor of Psychology at Northwestern Pritzker School of Law
STRATEGIES FOR CHANGE, 3:45 – 5 PM
- Margo Schlanger, Wade H. and Dores M. McCree Collegiate Professor of Law at The University of Michigan Law School
- Amy Fettig, Deputy Director of the ACLU’s National Prison Project
- Laura Rovner, Professor at The University of Denver Sturm College of Law
- Daniel Greenfield, Supreme Court and Appellate Program, MacArthur Justice Center
- Moderator: Maggie Filler, MacArthur Justice Center
*Coauthors: Hirsa Amin, Sophie Angelis, Megan Hauptman, Laura Kokotailo, Aseem Mehta, Madeline Silva, Tor Tarantola, and Meredith Wheeler (Yale Law School Students)
Please watch this space for more information! Contact Emily McCormick with any questions, at NULRSymposium@gmail.com.